Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Thoughts on the Next Stage of the Journey

This will be my first post which really points to where I thought the blog would primarily be focused. It's about the future - specifically mine as it relates to school and career options.

I'm (finally) graduating in 79 days, not that I'm counting down or anything. I will be getting a Bachelor's of Science in Business Administration from the University of Florida - Go Gators! After so many stops and starts in my college career, having taken classes in more schools than I'd care to admit, I'm finally at the end. I've succeeded beyond my most optimistic predictions, and it's time for the reward.

I'm looking forward to walking across that stage and receiving my empty diploma case (seriously? What's up with that?). I'm ready to start the next stage of the journey.

More classes.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

After so many, many, many years trying to get one degree, why would I immediately want to get another?

I actually like school. I never would have believed those words would come out of my mouth until I got to the University of Florida. For so long I've had absolutely crappy professors who couldn't care less about the students they were churning through their poorly thought out classes. Sure, I've had some incredible ones, but I could really count them on one hand before UF and still have fingers left over. What's worse is that all of them were back in high school.

Florida is different though. Not all of the professors are amazing. There have been a couple stinkers in the program. But so many were the kind of "Dead Poet's Society" professors that really bring out the best in you. They challenge you to do more than you thought you could. There's also a great support network of students who really want to succeed. And that's not an environment I ever want lose.

So I've determined that I'm going to apply to graduate schools. I'll take a breath after graduation. Go on a cruise and enjoy Christmas. Find a better job because now I can check that box that says "Degree?". But then it's time to study for the GRE or possibly the GMAT.

Now I just have to pick a program.

79 days. #GatorGrad2013

No comments:

Post a Comment